I know have all the code in place to allow users to search by fields other than UPC. The most obvious one is title which will be the first one I add. I'm putting together a new "Search" menu option which will bring up a new streen where you select which field you are searching on (Title, UPC, Actor, Author, Artist, etc...) and then enter text (or scan for the UPC) and off you go. Once the results come back, you can long-press them and they will add to your list but you stay on the saerch results - so you can add ALL the Shakira CD's you own :-)
Anyhow, that's where I'm at. It has taken a long time to get here because I have had to go back and re-factor a LOT of code. I didn't do anything to wrong in the first place, but I've pulled out all my Amazon and XML parsing code into a library. The last couple of Pro updates I've pushed had the code in it but not the new screen.
So I've been testing the new search codebase for a week now with no complaints. Now that this appears stable, I'll finish up the new search screen and off we go!