Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Collection Pro - Release 1.5.14

I had to push another update with a change for barcode scanning. I hesitate to call it a fix because the application appears to not be behaving like it did when I originally started to use the barcode scanner.

For example:

My code used to be like this:

if (resultCode == RESULT_OK) {
String contents = intent.getStringExtra("SCAN_RESULT");

Apparently, the scan activity is not returning RESULT_OK anymore for some people and I switched the code to be like the following:

String contents = intent.getStringExtra("SCAN_RESULT");
if(contents.length() > 0) {
} else {
NotificationHelper.showOkAlert(getApplicationContext(), "NO UPC FOUND", "There was an error from the barcode scanner, please contact support", null);

I'll clean up the error handling and get to the bottom of the issue later, but I wanted to push the change to help me get to the bottom of the issue and give my users some type of intelligible error message.

MyCollection Pro - Release 1.5.13

I pushed out the release which is built against the cupcake API. This version has some changes under the hood for the threading and I tweak the soft keyboard navigation but that's it.

I'm working on using the new slider control to add more sort features and I'm working on changing the search work (I've been making behind the scenes changes for this for some time now) but that will probably be rolled into a 1.6 release.

TODO for 1.5:
  1. Stabilize Cupcake tweaks
  2. Complete thread migration to AsyncTask API
Wishlist for 1.6:
  1. Enable multiple sorts/filters for items though use of sliding drawer
  2. Enable searching by other means (title, actor/author, etc)
Wishlist beyond 1.6:
  1. Integrate goodle app engine API for searching (offload to web service perhaps?)
  2. Use other source than Amazon
I'm really running up to the limit of what I want to do with the application. Anything beyond these items is really fluff and I have enough of a user base that I won't be able to make drastic changes under the MyCollection applications. I may end up writing other applications to handle some of the other requests I get.

Monday, May 25, 2009

MyCollectionFree - Release 1.4.9

I published an update to the free version which is build against the 1.5 API. I do some navigation tweaks for the soft-keyboard and fix a rental bug. I'll wait for the US rollout of 1.5 to be farther along before I publish the update to MyCollectionPro.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

AsyncTask and MyCollection Pro 1.5.13

I'm still working on 1.5.13. I had some UI ideas I've been trying to implement with a sliding drawer to handle additional sort criteria. At the same time, I've been porting my background threads to the new cupcake AsyncTask API.

It is far more convenient and easier to work with than the runable API I had been using. I get a pre and post execute event that operate in the UI thread and a doInBackground event that runs in the background thread. It is the perfect thing for database operations and I like how easy it is to wire into my app.

Once I complete the AsyncTask work, I'll realease what I have. The additional sorts will have to wait for 1.5.14 or possibly 1.6.0. That particular control is a little difficult to follow and the examples I use from the API doc don't work.