I have made some progress on switching to Google Base for my searches instead of Amazon. Additionally, I have made progress on getting a 2.0+ version of the application working as well. I should be able to wrap up and release version 2.0.0 later.
The biggest change is this version uses a web service (not XML) to perform the searches. This is a server that I host that performs Google searches and returns them in a much simpler format to the device. This greatly reduces the amount of data I pull down on the phone and the processing of those results so hopefully this will speed up searching.
Moving away from an Amazon-only search will make searching better and hopefully make my cross-region searches better as well. Only time will tell...
I hope to get to the back-log of feature requests as soon as I release this new version.
Here is the new search if you want to see what the results look like. The types are (movies, book, games, music).